The Federal Way Farmers Market is a summertime staple in the community. Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October and find the ingredients needed for the dish below.
The Federal Way Farmers Market is in The Commons mall parking lot along South 324th Street.
Roasted vegetables with ground beef
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 lb Grass Feed Ground Beef (85/15)
1/4 cup classic dark balsamic vinegar (Nature’s Works)
2 small eggplants (J & E Produce)
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 red anaheim peppers (J & E Produce)
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 onion cut in half (J & E Produce)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 ears of sweet corn, shucked (Sidhu Farms)
1/4 tsp dried cumin
8 red new potatoes, cut in half (Amador Farms)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 carrot (Bautista Farm)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 clove garlic, minced (Bautista Farm)
4 oz goat cheese
1. Prepare grill and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant, anaheim, onion, corn, potatoes, and carrot on the grill over a hot flame. Roast vegetables turning as needed.
2. Once anaheim’s skin is charred, place in plastic bag and seal. The anaheim, onion, corn, potatoes, and carrot will take about 10 minutes to roast. The eggplant will take approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
3. Remove charred skin and scrape out seeds with a spoon from eggplant and anaheim peppers. Cut them into chunks.
4. Pinch potato skin to remove loosened skin and cut into quarters. Slice onions and cut in pieces. Remove corn from husk. Grate or slice carrot.
5. Brown ground beef in a large skillet and remove excess oil.
6. Add all other ingredients except for goat cheese. Cook until heated through.
7. Mix in goat cheese before serving.
8. Serve with naan bread.
Makes 8 servings