Fresh produce, colorful fruits and other delicious eats are waiting for you at the Federal Way Farmers Market. Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Saturday through October and pick up the special ingredients needed for the recipe below. The Federal Way Farmers Market is located in the Commons mall parking lot at 1701 S. 320th St. in Federal Way.
Roasted tomato and cauliflower soup
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 1/2 lbs tomatoes (Bautista Farms)
2 cups cauliflower (Sidhu Farms)
1 1/2 cups onion sliced (Bautista Farms)
4 cloves garlic cut in half (J & E Farms)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (Ancient Trees)
1 – 14.5 oz can low sodium vegetable broth
1 tbsp honey (Novo Bees)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt from a grinder
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro & chives optional
Fresh grated parmesan cheese optional
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Wash tomatoes and cauliflower. Cut tomatoes and garlic in half. Place cut side down on cookies sheet. Slice cauliflower and onion in 1/2 inch slices and place on cookie sheet.
2. Evenly pour olive oil over vegetables. Grind salt and pepper over vegetables. Place vegetables in oven on the middle rack for 20 minutes or until tender. To char some of the vegetables, turn oven on to broil setting. Broil vegetables for 1 – 3 minutes to char cook some of the vegetables.
3. Cool vegetables for 5 minutes. Place charred vegetables in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
4. Pour puree into 1.5 quart saucepan. Add vegetable broth, honey and butter. Simmer until butter has melted and soup is hot.
5. Pour into 4 individual bowls. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and cilantro, optional. Serve with warm bread or grilled cheese sandwich. This recipe serves 4 and can easily be doubled or tripled.