Fresh produce, colorful fruits and other delicious eats are waiting for you at the Federal Way Farmers Market. Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Saturday through October and pick up the special ingredients needed for the recipe below. The Federal Way Farmers Market is located in the Commons mall parking lot at 1701 S. 320th St. in Federal Way.
Old fashioned applesauce cake
By Vickie Chynoweth
10 – 12 apples, different varieties (Armonda Farms)
4 tbsp butter cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup honey (Novo Bees)
1 1/2 cups prepared applesauce
1/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp butter softened
4 oz light cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners sugar
Optional: serve with ice cream
1. To make the applesauce, peel, core and cut apples into 1-inch pieces. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9 x 11 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Pour 10 cups of cubed apples in baking pan. Sprinkle cubed butter evenly over apples. Drizzle honey over apples. Bake for 45 minutes. When done, using a fork, stir and smash apples to desired consistency leaving some chunky pieces. Set to the side or made a day ahead. Makes approximately 4 cups.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 8 x 8 inch baking dish by lightly buttering and dusting with flour. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl use electric mixer to mix olive oil, butter, sugar, and egg on medium speed until smooth. Stir in cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda and salt until well combined. Stir in applesauce and raisins until well combined. Add the flour and stir until all flour is incorporated into the batter.
4. Pour into prepared baking dish. Batter will be thick. Evenly spread with back of spoon.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until done. Lightly press the center of the cake with your finger. If the cake pops back up the cake is done. Transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Using an electric mixer, blend cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add confectioners sugar 1/3 at a time until until blended smooth and desired texture.
There will be more applesauce than needed to make this recipe. You will be glad you made extra!