Fresh produce, colorful fruits and other delicious eats are waiting for you at the Federal Way Farmers Market. Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Saturday through October and pick up the special ingredients needed for the recipe below. The Federal Way Farmers Market is located in the Commons mall parking lot at 1701 S. 320th St. in Federal Way.
Butternut squash chili
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 lb. dried beans, rinsed and soaked overnight (Armonda Farms)
1 lb. each ground beef, sausage cooked and drained
1 large onion diced (Bautista Farms)
1 bell pepper seeded and diced (J & E Produce)
1-2 Anaheim pepper seeded and diced (J & E Produce)
6 cloves of garlic diced (J & E Produce)
3 ears of corn, kernels removed (Sidhu Farms)
2 cups of stewed tomatoes (if fresh remove skin) (J & E Produce)
1 butternut squash peeled/seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (Bautista Farms)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Ancient Trees
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp seasoning salt
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp coriander
1 cup of ketchup
1 cup of water
24 oz. tomato sauce
1. Rinse and drain dried beans after soaking overnight. Place beans in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer on low until tender about 2 hours.
2. Add olive oil to large stock pot or crock pot. Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, corn and anhiem pepper until tender.
3. Brown beef and sausage, drain.
4. Place the remainder of the ingredients in pot and bring to a boil.
5. Cover reduce heat, simmer for 20 minutes. Add a cup of water if to thick. Stir, uncover, and cook an additional 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
6. Serve with grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream and corn chips.
If using Crock Pot, cook on low for 6 hours. Add seeded and diced jalapenos if desired.