Local small businesses may now begin applying online for the second round of the Federal Way COVID-19 Small Business Assistance Grant Program.
The program, named “2 Victory/19,” was proposed by Federal Way Mayor Jim Ferrell and approved by the Federal Way City Council to distribute federal CARES Act funds to local businesses.
Eligible businesses may apply over the next two and a half weeks. Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 19.
The link to access the online application is on the City of Federal Way website. The link will work best using an up-to-date browser such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
For those who need assistance with the grant application, or need to request a paper or electronic application, a hotline is available at 253-835-2414. Business owners can also email CovidGrant@cityoffederalway.com for more information.
The criteria for businesses to be eligible for round two funding include:
- Domiciled in Federal Way
- Possess a Federal Way business license
- Must be a for-profit business
- No more than 10 employees (full-time equivalent) per business
- Priority will be given to Minority- and Women-owned businesses
- Businesses that received grants in the first round are not eligible for the second round
- Businesses that have received state and/or federal assistance are eligible, although priority will be given to those who have not received state or federal funding for COVID-19
- Not currently in bankruptcy
- Must be current on all taxes and government fees
- Have no owner, officer, partner, or principal actor of the business who is currently employed by the City or who is an immediate family member (spouse or sibling) of a current City employee.
- If business is currently closed due to government mandates, the business intends to reopen when allowed under the State of Washington’s Safe Start Plan.
Businesses must also certify any funds they receive will be used to cover costs that are necessary expenditures during the COVID-19 crisis, for a period beginning March 1 and running through Oct. 31.
In April, Gov. Jay lnslee announced the award of nearly $300 million to local governments across Washington from the state’s allocation of the CARES Act federal funding.
The City of Federal Way was awarded approximately $2.96 million in federal funding to help with reimbursable costs it has already incurred in response to COVID-19 public health impacts.
Ferrell allocated up to $2.5 million in funding to be available to Federal Way businesses negatively affected by the COVID-19 crisis.