A 14-year-old boy lost his left hand while reportedly playing with fireworks on June 20, according to South King Fire and Rescue.
Before 5 p.m. near the 33900 block of 19th Avenue SW, a 14-year-old boy lost his left hand and injured his right hand, according to Capt. Brad Chaney of South King Fire and Rescue. Another 10-year-old boy on scene was also minorly injured, he added.
Both of the boys were transferred to Harborview Medical Center by King County Medic One. The King County Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigator is responding to the scene to investigate.
In 2021, the King County Council approved a ban on the sale, use and discharge of fireworks in unincorporated areas of the county. The ban took effect this year. Several cities in King County, including Federal Way and Des Moines, also have bans on fireworks.
Chaney urges people to avoid using fireworks this Fourth of July season and let the pros take care of the explosions.
“Please leave the fireworks to the professionals and attend a professional display,” said Chaney.