Longer, sunnier days are here, and with them more time spent outdoors – relaxing on the patio, entertaining on the deck and soaking in the beauty of your own backyard.
How can you make those times even better? By making your spaces even more beautiful, of course!
The trick for many is just how to do that, whether it’s the time, the inspiration or the know-how, but a trip to the knowledgeable team at the area’s largest and most complete garden center and gift shop is a great place to start.
Steve Jensen, who with wife Sharon owns Auburn’s Branches Garden Center, offers his go-to suggestions:
- Inspiration awaits: Boasting about an acre brimming with spring blooms, shrubs, trees and of course, art and accessories for your garden, the Jensens delight in welcoming gardeners to Branches, whether it’s to purchase the season’s basket stuffers or simply browse and be inspired. “I wanted my garden center to be like visiting my garden at home, a place where people can come breathe the oxygen-filled air, stroll among the plants and be inspired,” Steve says. “Customers will often say they enjoy just coming to be among the plants, and I love hearing that.”
- Expertise at your service: Beyond the sheer selection of plants at your fingertips, the knowledge that stands behind it sets your neighborhood garden center apart from some of those seasonal warehouse stores. “I’ve always been a gardener and I’ve always loved plants,” explains Steve, who heads a team of experienced green thumbs happy to field your questions. Have a pot you want planted? They do that too!
- New & notable: “In additional to the favourites people look for every year, I also try to bring in some plants that are new and unusual – things you’re not going to see at the big box stores, so it’s a little more interesting,” Steve says. Highlights to watch for this season include a new line of Endless Summer hydrangeas boasting a deep pink color, or darker purple in more acidic soils. “And this time of year, there’s also lots of wind spinners and garden art in the gift shop.”
- Foodie favourites: Culinary crops are a growing concern in the Pacific Northwest, and there are many ways to incorporate vegetables, fruits and herbs into your garden. Branches is not only your source for quality seeds and plants, but the expertise to get the most from your harvest.
- Help in your home garden: Sometimes even the most ardent gardener needs a little help, and Steve is happy to provide in-home consultation services. “Sometimes it’s simply arranging pots on their patio, while others want help identifying plants already growing in their garden. Others want help planning their entire space. Because I take photos, when they come to the garden center to add something new, I know exactly the spot they’re working on,” Steve says.
Be inspired at Branches Garden Center at 3909 S. 320th St. in Auburn. And be sure to visit branchesgc.com to sign up for their newsletter, full of timely information, current specials, new product introductions and more!