LA Fitness plans to reopen all of its locations in Washington on Monday, Aug. 10 with restrictions that meet new gym guidelines announced earlier this month by Gov. Jay Inslee.
The company has 28 locations in the state (all in Western Washington), including Kent, Auburn, Renton, Federal Way, Tukwila, Covington, Kirkland and Bellevue. LA Fitness opened its Lacey location in Thurston County on June 26 as that county moved to Phase 3 under the state’s phased reopening plan due to COVID-19.
The other clubs were not allowed to open because King, Pierce, Snohomish and Clark counties remain in Phase 2. But discussions between fitness club representatives and the governor’s office led to allowing gyms to open even in Phase 2, although with lots of restrictions.
“We have good news,” according to an email sent Aug. 6 to LA Fitness members. “We are reopening the rest of our clubs in Washington on Monday, Aug. 10 at 6 a.m. Thank you for your patience, loyalty and support while waiting for this to happen! You have been missed and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in person. While closed, we’ve been working on changes aimed at making our clubs the safest place you can work out.”
The club hours at each location will be 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. t0 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Just one club will not reopen. The Bothell location has been permanently closed as the lease expired during the state-mandated temporary closure, according to LA Fitness. Members enrolled at that club can use the nearby Mill Creek club or any other LA Fitness in the state, excluding Signature clubs.
In compliance with the governor’s current guidelines, here are some changes members can expect, according to the LA Fitness email:
* The number of people in a club will be capped at 25% of the club’s capacity. We are keeping track of the capacity through our check-in/check-out system.
* We ask that everyone check in one by one and use contactless check-in. Our LA Fitness mobile app has a feature that allows for this and will also alert you if the club is at capacity and when there is space available for you to enter.
* Please arrive dressed in workout attire, since locker room access will be limited to hand washing and restroom use only.
* All employees reporting for work will be screened for COVID symptoms (including temperature readings) and required to wear face coverings.
* Temperatures may be taken at the door for members and guests as well.
* Members are required to wear face coverings while in the club, except when they are exercising and are able to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others. Members who remove their masks to exercise must wear them immediately before and after exercising. We will be checking for masks at the door, so please bring your own mask and be prepared to wear it when appropriate.
* The number of participants in a group exercise class will be limited to allow for distancing.
* Contact sports, such as basketball and racquetball, will not be offered yet.
* Personal training is permitted with a 6-foot distance between the member and trainer. Trainers and members must thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer, before and after their session.
* Per state guidelines, personal training clients and group fitness participants will be briefed on the protective measures we are taking and may be asked to sign an acknowledgment of their commitment to our reopening policies.
* Water fountains will be closed off, so please bring your own water with you. Also, if you wish to use a mat or towel, please bring your own.
* Kids Klub, saunas, pools, and steam rooms will be closed initially.
We also encourage you to help keep yourself and your fellow members safe by familiarizing yourself with, and following, current state and local guidelines. As these guidelines stress, please do not visit the club if you are sick or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, and consider postponing your use of the club if you are an at-risk individual.
Billing to resume
LA Fitness will resume billing in August (including billing for any fitness membership, personal training, HIIT by LAF and Pilates by LAF dues, as well as for any annual, enhancement and rate guarantee fees) on the same date(s) and in the same amount(s) as regularly scheduled prior to the club closures (except members who are regularly billed on the 10th-15th will be billed their regular dues amount on Aug. 16 and then again on their regularly scheduled billing date every month thereafter starting in September).
If you were paying a freeze fee before your club closed, then LA Fitness will resume billing your freeze fee in August on the same date of the month and in the same amount as regularly scheduled prior to the club closure.