Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe.
The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
General Tso’s Cauliflower (makes 6 servings)
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 head of cauliflower Hayton Farms
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup of each coconut & vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Ancient Trees
1/4 cup Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar (Nature’s Work)
1/4 cup Aloha soy sauce
3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey (Novo Bees)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 cup carrots thinly sliced (Bautista Farms)
1/2 medium zucchini 2” X 1/4” sticks (J & E Produce)
6 cups of cooked rice
1. Trim cauliflower and cut off florets. Put cauliflower in a large bowl. Add cornstarch, chili
flakes, ground pepper and salt to cauliflower. Mix cornstarch mixture to evenly coat
2. In a large flat skillet cook coconut and vegetable oil until hot at 350 degrees.
3. Once oil is hot, take coated cauliflower one piece at a time, dip in egg mixture. Carefully place coated cauliflower in skillet. Repeat with the remainder of the cauliflower. Leave enough room between each floret that they do not touch while cooking.
4. Turn cauliflower when golden color. Turn and cook on all side. Once cooked remove each piece from the skillet and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
5. Once all cauliflower is cooked, remove oil from the skillet or use another skillet to finish making General Tso’s cauliflower.
6. In dry skillet add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add carrots and zucchini, cook for 3 minutes until tender, yet still firm.
7. Add cooked cauliflower to vegetables. Pour sauce over the top. Gently stir, coating all the cauliflower. Cook until sauce thickens and is bubbly.
8. Serve with rice.
1. In a bowl combine vinegar, soy sauce, Hoisin, water, honey, and cornstarch. Stir until no lumps remain. Set aside.