Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Saturday through October and pick up locally-sourced ingredients needed for the treat below.
The Federal Way Farmers Market is located in The Commons mall parking lot along S. 324th Street in Federal Way.
Rainbow pancakes (makes 6 servings)
By Vickie Chynoweth
Pancake flavor colors:
1 kale bundle (Bautista Farm)
1 spinach Bundle
3-4 beets (Bautista Farm)
1 carrot bundle (Bautista Farm)
1 basil bundle (Bautista Farm)
3 cups all purpose white flour (divided)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (divided)
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
1 1/2 cups of milk (divided)
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (divided)
3 large eggs (divided)
1. Clean, cook and skin beets, then puree until you have 3/4 cup of puree. Clean, cook and puree carrots until you have 1 cup. Puree 1 cup each packed kale and spinach, stems removed and place in food processor or blender.
2. Add half cup of basil, stems removed. Pulse in food processor with kale, spinach until finely chopped.
3. Now you have your three flavors of pancakes: beets, carrot, and kale. You will need to make pancake batter three times adding one of the flavors in each.
4. For each pancake flavor, mix 1 cup of all purpose white flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, half teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, half cup milk, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, one egg and one flavor color (beet, carrot, or kale). Blend in food processor or mixer for 30-60 seconds until mixture is smooth. You can add a small amount of milk if you like a thinner pancake.
5. Preheat griddle and spray with cooking spray. Place 1/4 cup of flavored pancake batter onto grill, taking spoon to spread out batter to make a 3-inch circle. Cook about 3-5 minutes on each side until done.
6. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.