Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe.
The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
Blueberry Pie Bars (serves 15)
By Vickie Chynoweth
2 1/2 cups blueberries (Hayton Farms)
3 tablespoons Fig Jam (Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
3 tablespoons honey (Novo Bees Honey LLC)
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup crushed orange biscotti
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tahini with honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 11 x 7 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Pour the entire 160 gram bag of biscotti in a one-gallon plastic bag. Roll a rolling pin back and forth on plastic bag to coarsely crush biscotti.
3. In a large bowl add flour, biscotti crumble, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir until mixed evenly. Add olive oil and tahini. Stir until all dry ingredients are moistened and the crumble starts to stick together.
5. Place 3/4 of crust mixture in prepared baking dish. Using your hands, evenly press the mixture to the bottom of baking dish.
6. Pour blueberry filling over the top of crust. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining crumble over the blueberry filling.
7. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
1. In a medium sauce pan, add all ingredients and stir until blueberries are evenly coated.
2. Turn stove on to medium heat. Press blueberries with a potato masher or the bottom of a cup to extract some of the juice. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
Cool and cut into bars, about 15. Store in refrigerator.