The Federal Way Farmers Market is in its last weekends of the 2021 season.
Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through Oct. 30 behind The Commons mall in Federal Way.
Apple pie cake (makes 9-12 servings)
By Vickie Chynoweth
6 cups (4) apples peeled, cored 7 sliced (Armando Farm)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup (Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Nature’s Work)
2 cups sugar, divided Optional
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Pastry Crust ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening
1 egg yolk
2/3 cup evaporated milk
Optional: 1/4 cup honey (Novo Bees)
Apple pie cake
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. You will need 8×8 inch glass baking dish for this recipe.
2. Make pastry crust (see recipe below). Divide dough in half. Roll out half the dough into 12×12 inch square. Fit into and up sides of baking dish, with some over hanging to seal dough.
3. Peel and core apples, keeping apples whole. Cut apples in half and slice thick cut using mandoline slicer (1/8 inch thick).
4. In a large bowl, gently mix apple slices with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Take coated apple slices, cut side down (upside down C) and fill dough covered baking dish.
5. For cake, beat two eggs and 1 and a 1/2 cups of sugar until frothy. Mix in olive oil, vanilla and half cup evaporated milk until well blended. Add 1 cup of flour and mix until there are no flour lumps.
6. Spoon cake batter evenly over the tops of the apples. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over the top of apples.
7. Take other half of dough and dough into 12×12 inch square. Place over the top of apple pie cake. Seal edges and cut slits in top. You can take the extra dough to cut out shapes to decorate the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden.
1. In a bowl, mix flour and shortening using a dough cutter or two butter knives until dough resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Mix evaporated milk and egg yolk until well blended. Stir milk mixture into flour, using dough cutter. You may need to add 1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup of flour to get dough to stick together roll out without crumbling or to be to sticky. Serve with warm with vanilla ice cream and drizzle honey over the top.