‘Superbug’ kills Federal Way resident

To minimize risk of infection, wash your hands regularly

  • Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:10am
  • News

By MARGO HORNER, The Mirror

A Federal Way man died last week of a dangerous skin infection sometimes referred to as “the superbug.”

John F. Jones, 46, died of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, also known as MRSA, on Wednesday at Harborview Medical Center.

MRSA is a highly contagious, antibiotic-resistant strain of staph infection, according to the Washington State Department of Health.

Symptoms at first look and feel like a spider bite, a boil, blisters filled with fluid or a cut that is swollen, hot and filled with pus. Untreated, MRSA can be fatal.

Infections are spread through skin-to-skin contact, sharing personal items or touching objects such as public phones or doorknobs. MRSA is most commonly contracted in hospitals, nursing homes, daycares or college dorms.

Health officials recommend frequent hand washing to prevent skin infections such as MRSA.

The first case of MRSA was discovered in the 1960s, but it is becoming more common today, said Tim Church, communications director for the Washington State Department of Health.

“We’re seeing MRSA now more, not only in hospitals but in community settings as well,” Church said.

Still, people shouldn’t panic, he said.

“There are some fairly simple things people can do to limit their exposure to it,” he said.

Frequent hand washing is the best way to prevent MRSA and other illnesses such as colds and the flu. Hand sanitizer is also effective, Church said.

“You would certainly want to avoid direct skin-to-skin contact with somebody who is known to have MRSA,” he said.

Contact sports, such as football and wrestling, are possible ways to spread MRSA. Someone with a known infection should not participate in those sports.

“The majority of people that you run into during the day, you’re not going to have that kind of contact with,” Church said.

A person with MRSA who wears a bandage over a wound is a relatively limited risk, he said.

It is possible for a person to have MRSA and not even know about it. Any wound that is not healing properly or appears infected should be examined by a health care professional, Church said.

“Often people do not react quickly enough when they have an ailment,” he said.

In addition to hand washing and awareness, Church recommends people wash down gym equipment before and after use, and also avoid touching their face.

“That’s why they have those little spray bottles in most gyms,” he said. “You have a lot of control as to how exposed you are to germs.”

Contact Margo Horner: mhorner@fedwaymirror.com or (253) 925-5565.

—-

What to do:

The best way to prevent skin infections is simple — wash your hands. Washing your hands often with soap and warm water also helps prevent colds and flu. Antibacterial soaps are not needed.

Wash cuts, scrapes and sores with soap and water, then keep them clean and dry. Cover them with bandages until they are healed.

Avoid contact with other people’s cuts or sores and any materials that have come in contact with them.

Avoid sharing personal items such as soap, towels and razors.

Clean and wash sports clothing and equipment after each use.

Call your doctor if:

You have signs of infection, such as pain, redness, swelling and heat, and oozing pus or blood.

New symptoms develop during or after you get treated.

For more information, visit www.doh.wa.gov/Topics/Antibiotics/MRSA.htm.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@federalwaymirror.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.federalwaymirror.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

A crew member works at the Sound Transit light rail Operations and Maintenance Facility in Seattle. Sound Transit plans to build a similar facility in either Federal Way or Kent. COURTESY PHOTO, Sound Transit
Sound Transit to release draft EIS March 5 for light rail maintenance facility

3 sites under consideration; 2 in Federal Way and 1 in Kent

West Point Wastewater Treatment Plant. Photo courtesy of Washington Department of Ecology.
EPA loans King County $96.8 million to prevent untreated water from spilling into Puget Sound

Loan comes a week after an over 10 million gallon overflow into the Puget Sound and Lake Washington.

Courtesy photo
Survey shows rent debt to be disproportionately distributed among minorities

More than half of Black renters surveyed said they owed rent money from previous months.

The Center at Norpoint, located at 4818 Nassau Ave NE in Tacoma, will soon become a temporary warming shelter. Olivia Sullivan/the Mirror
Federal Way officials expect little impact from incoming NE Tacoma warming shelter

A community center in the neighboring limits of Northeast Tacoma will soon… Continue reading

South King Fire and Rescue's new Maritime Emergency Response Vessel will be similar to this model drawing. Courtesy photo
State provides $750K for new ‘floating fire engine’ for South King Fire

Maritime Emergency Response Vessel is the only resource of its kind between Seattle and Tacoma.

File photo
Husky injured in hit-and-run | Police blotter

Following is a sample from the Federal Way police log Jan. 13-19

State Rep. Jamila Taylor is sworn in by Superior Court Judge Nicole Phelps with her parents, Dr. Quintard Taylor, left, and Carolyn F. Taylor on Jan. 10. Courtesy photo
State Rep. Jamila Taylor elected chair of Black Members Caucus

The Federal Way resident now leads the largest caucus of Black representatives in Washington state’s history.

A portion of the mayor's Black Lives Matter proclamation and call to action presented Monday, Jan. 18.
Federal Way mayor presents Black Lives Matter proclamation, call to action

Proclamation urges people to “exercise their patriotic responsibility to strive to challenge racism until it is no more.”

Photo courtesy of South Sound News
2-year-old child, woman rescued from Auburn house fire

Fire started in the garage around 11:40 p.m. Jan. 20 near the 30100 block of 50th Lane S. in Auburn.

Most Read