A natural gas leak Monday morning closed northbound Pacific Highway South for one hour.
South King Fire & Rescue Capt. Jeff Bellinghausen said construction workers at South 336th Street and Pacific Highway South hit a 1-inch pipe line that caused the leak at around 8:30 a.m. The fire department sent its hazardous materials team into local businesses, including one motel, to check for pockets of natural gas. Once they determined the businesses were free of gas, Puget Sound Energy plugged the line and “pinched it off,” Bellingahusen said.
Everything was back and running at about 9:30 a.m.