Federal Way man dies after Fourth of July drive-by shooting

Medical examiners identified the man as 19-year-old Matthew Saelor.

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the 19-year-old man who died after he was shot on the Fourth of July in Federal Way.

Matthew Saelor died from a gunshot wound to the head and his death is ruled a homicide. Saelor was shot on July 4 and transported that night to Harborview Medical Center. After three days in extreme critical condition, Saelor died on July 7.

A Kent man was charged with first-degree assault for allegedly shooting Saelor in the head during a drive-by shooting near the 33400 block of 35th Avenue SW in Federal Way. Sir Antonio-Patrick Agee II, 19, was charged with one count of first-degree assault on July 7, according to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. Agee’s bail is set at $2 million and his arraignment is at 9 a.m. Thursday, July 21 at the King County Courthouse.

Agee was charged prior to Saelor’s death. Now, he could face additional, altered or upgraded charges.

The Federal Way Police Department is continuing the investigate to determine the appropriate charge, said Casey McNerthney, spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office. Prosecutors anticipate amending the case prior to the July 21 arraignment, he added.

Over 140 friends and family members gathered to honor Saelor at a candlelight vigil on July 9.

A GoFundMe account was created to assist Saelor’s family with medical and funeral expenses. So far, the fundraiser has collected $20,698 of an $80,000 goal, as of July 13.

Saelor was preparing to graduate next year from the University of Washington Tacoma with a bachelor’s degree in computer science, according to the GoFundMe page. He is described as quiet and always honest to people.

“He was a hardworking individual who loved to code, play video games, and keep to himself,” according to the page. “He dreamed of one day creating his own video games for his friends, family, and the rest of the world to see and enjoy.”