Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe. The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
Strawberry shortbread crumble pie
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 Pie crust prebaked and cooled
4 cups strawberries hulled and sliced (Hayton Farms)
4 Pecan maple shortbread cookies (Jess Real Cuisine)
1/3 cup honey (Novo Bees LLC)
3 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cups water
1/2 cup white chocolate baking chips
1 cup whipping cream
2 -3 tbsp cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Melt baking chips. Once melted pour into cooled pie crust. Using a baking brush, gently spread evenly over the bottom and sides of the crust. Place pie crust in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Crumble the cookies in a skillet. Over medium high heat, stir cookie crumbles until lightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. In a saucepan add 2 cups of the sliced strawberries. Stir in cornstarch, coating the strawberries. Add water, stir. Turn on stove to medium heat. Add honey to strawberry mixture. Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken and comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool in refrigerator until ready to use.
4. Take the remaining 2 cups of strawberries and layer on top of the cooled pie crust. Optional, save some of the strawberries to decorate your pie.
5. Remove strawberry mixture from the refrigerator. Pour into pie crust. Spoon shortbread crumbles on top of the pie. Gently press crumbles into pie. Place in refrigerator.
6. Make whipped cream by pouring whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, turn it on to highest speed setting. Mix until cream is whipped and stiff. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
7. To serve, slice pie and add whipped cream. Makes 6 servings.