Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe. The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
Double chocolate beet cake
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 cup of blackberries Sidhu Farms
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup red beets roasted and shredded Bautista Farms
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
4 oz cream cheese softened
1 tbsp butter softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cacao powder
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 – 4 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a saucepan add blackberries and lemon juice. Using the back of a spoon or fork smash blackberries. Turn on stove to medium heat. Smash and stir blackberries occasionally for 10 minutes. Place a sieve over a bowl. Pour blackberries into the sieve. Drain blackberries and gently smash with the back of a spoon. Set blackberry juice aside to cool. This will make approximately 1/2 cu of juice.
3. In a large bowl use electric mixer, mix olive oil, honey, egg, vanilla, blackberry juice and beets on medium speed for 30 seconds.
4. Add flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
5. Mix in flour until well combined and dough sticks together when pinched.
6. Stir in chocolate chips.
7. Pour into prepared baking dish. Using the back of a spoon smooth the batter.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Lightly press the center of the cake with your finger. If the cake pops back up the cake is done. Transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Frosting: Using an electric mixer, blend cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla, cacao powder, sugar and 3 tbsp of milk. Mix on slow until blended smooth and desired texture. Add more milk 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency.
How to roast beets: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the stems of the beets. Wash the beets to remove any dirt. Wrap each beet in foil. Place beets on a cookie sheet and bake 40 – 60 minutes depending on the size. Allow beets to cool before removing the foil. Peel the beets. Keep out what is needed for your recipe. Put any remaining in an airtight container and refrigerate. Beets start to oxidize once the protective skin is removed. Do not skip this process if you are using yellow beets, as the oxidization is more noticeable. Beets will temporarily stain your skin. You can wear cooking gloves to protect your skin.