The 2021 Federal Way Farmers Market is well underway.
Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Saturday through October and pick up locally-sourced ingredients needed for the recipe below.
Chutney is a gluten-free, spicy or savory condiment originating in India. Chutney is made from fruits, vegetables, and/or herbs with vinegar, sugar, and spices.
The Federal Way Farmers Market is located in The Commons mall parking lot along S. 324th Street in Federal Way.
Cherry chutney (Makes 2 cups)
By Vickie Chynoweth
2 pounds cherries (J&E Produce), pitted and chopped
1.5 cups chopped onion (Amador Farms)
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped 1-inch pieces
1 medium orange
1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup Sidhu honey (Sidhu Farms)
1/4 cup Nature’s Works Classic Dark Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Craisins (dried cranberries)
1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, coriander
2 teaspoons mace spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. In a medium saucepan, heat Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Sauté Amador Farms onion until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Put bell pepper in food processor and pulse 3-5 times add to cooked onions. Stir in grated ginger and sauté 5 minutes until fragrant.
2. Remove 3 strips of outer rind of orange (only the orange part not the white soft part) and finely chop or pulse in food processor to make 2 teaspoons. Juice the orange, about 1/2 cup.
3. Combine rind, orange juice, J&E Produce cherries chopped or pulse three times in food processor, Craisins, Sidhu honey, Nature’s Works Classic Dark Balsamic Vinegar, mace, cinnamon, coriander, and salt to cooked onion, bell pepper and ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and gently boil covered for 30 minutes.
4. Uncover and continue to boil gently for 30-45 minutes or until thickened stirring frequently.
5. Makes 2 cups. Spoon into a glass container and refrigerate up to 1 month.
Add to goat cheese and serve with Forest Fairy Bakery bread sticks
Marinate Cornish game hens
Glaze pork or poultry
Add to top roasted sweet potatoes