Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe.
The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
Blackberry Buckle with Blackberry Frozen Yogurt
By Vickie Chynoweth
Blackberry Buckle ingredients:
3 cups blackberries (Sidhu)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated white sugar (divided)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
2 large eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup fairy munch (Forest Fairy Bakery)
Blackberry Frozen Yogurt ingredients:
2 cups lowfat vanilla yogurt
2 cups frozen (Sidhu Blackberries)
1/4 cup honey (Novo Bees, LLC)
Makes 8 – 10 servings
Blackberry Buckle Directions
1. In a bowl mix 1/4 cup granulated white sugar with 3 cups of blackberries. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients; flour, remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a mixing bowl whisk eggs together until blended. Add vanilla, milk and butter to eggs. With a hand mixer mix until butter is in small balls about 1 minute on medium high.
4. Mix egg mixture with flour mixture stirring with a fork until well blended.
5. Gently fold in sugared blackberries into batter.
6. Butter or oil 8” X 11” baking dish. Pour blackberry buckle in pan and spread evenly with spoon.
7. Sprinkle Fairy Munch Granola evenly over top of buckle
8. Bake 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
Blackberry Frozen Yogurt Directions
Place blackberries on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and place into the freezer overnight or for at least 2 hours when blackberries are completely frozen.
Add frozen blackberries, honey and Greek yogurt to food processor or blender Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
Serve immediately or put in an airtight container and place in the freezer. Once frozen, allow to thaw 10 to 20 minutes or until soft before serving.