The Taste of Federal Way is back.
Nine local restaurants will compete Sept. 24 for the Taste of Federal Way, an annual celebration of the city’s culinary community hosted by the Federal Way Farmers Market. It’s held from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. this year at the Commons Mall back parking lot along 324th Street and Pacific Highway.
Marinated chicken, pork sliders, bear claws, al pastor street tacos, prime rib chili and more are on the menu this year. A ticket gets you a taste from all nine restaurants along with a drink and dessert.
The event is “hoedown” themed, so you’re encouraged to wear your best western wear. There will be a raffle, live entertainment, line dancing, and of course, lots of good food.
The entertainment will include singer Faina Marozov, the winner of Federal Way’s Got Talent, who sang “You Raise Me Up.” This is the second annual year of that competition, which is held at the farmers market for local singers, bands and other performers.
The restaurants this year, and the causes they’re supporting, are as follows:
• Mama Stortini’s Federal Way — Federal Way Soroptimist Club
• K.C. Deez BBQ — Federal Way Knights Baseball
• Black Bear Diner Federal Way — Federal Way Hawks
• Puerto Vallarta Mexican Twin Lakes — Ted Colby for St. Vincent De Paul Parish School
• East India Grill — Pacific Christian Academy
• Jimmy Mac’s Roadhouse Federal Way — Rotary Club of Federal Way
• Chick-fil-A Federal Way — Young Life Federal Way
• Billy McHale’s American Restaurant — Do The Right Thing
• Sub Zero Nitrogen Ice Cream — Federal Way Farmers Market
Tickets are $20 and available at the market on Saturday as well as on the day of the Taste of Federal Way. The farmers market runs every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Oct. 15. You can also get tickets from the nonprofits represented by the businesses.
East India Grill won first place and the people’s choice award at last year’s competition with their ginger prawn dish. K.C. Deez BBQ took second with their pulled pork sandwich, and Mediterranean Gyro Grill took third with their gyro salad.