- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Honoring Our Own: Veterans Day observance Nov. 12
From staff reports:
The second annual "Honoring Our Own" event will pay tribute to Federal Way area veterans. The event runs 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at Todd Beamer High School, 35999 16th Ave. S.
This year's event is dedicated to retired U.S. Army Col. Edwin Opstad, a longtime Federal Way resident who died in August 2011. His wife, Bette, will receive a token of appreciation from the Kiwanis and Historical Society.
Featured in the Nov. 12 program are:
• Keynote speaker Gene Krueger, whose 44-year military career includes piloting helicopter missions in Vietnam and Afghanistan war zones
• A presentation of thank you letters to soldiers from Federal Way students
• Elwin Hart, a retired U.S. Marine who wrote a military memoir titled "Did I Do Enough?"
• Federal Way dignitaries including Mayor Skip Priest
• Patriotic musical performances from Federal Way Chorale, Carol Stanley and Todd Beamer orchestra and wind ensemble
• The Air Force ROTC from Federal Way and Todd Beamer high schools will participate in ceremonies involving the flag and POW-MIA veterans.
• Carlene Joseph of Support America’s Armed Forces
• Flags of Our Nation will be presented by Tom Leonard of VFW Post 2886
• Boy Scouts Troop 342 from St. Vincent de Paul and Cub Scouts Pack 369 from Rainier View and Lakeland elementary schools
The event is sponsored by the Noon Kiwanis Club of Federal Way and the Historical Society of Federal Way. The society received a grant from the city to fund transportation for disabled veterans. To learn more, contact Diana Noble-Gulliford at (206) 412-5545. Village Green Retirement Campus, located at 1st Avenue South and South 356th Street, is offering parking and transportation to the event. Info: (253) 838-3700.