By CASEY OLSON, The Mirror
Roberto Bergersen has been solid in the early season for the Idaho Stampede of the NBA D-League.
The 1994 Decatur High School graduate is fourth on the team in scoring, averaging 13.8 points, and has started all 22 of the Stampedes’ games. The 6-foot-6 shooting guard is also averaging three assists and 3.4 rebounds. Idaho is currently 17-5 on the season and sits in first place in the West Division.
Playing for the Stampede is a homecoming for Bergersen, who starred at Boise State University during his collegiate career. Bergersen was inducted into the Boise State University Athletic Hall of Fame last year.
After graduating, Bergersen has spent the past nine years playing professional basketball all over the world. He has played in the Continental Basketball Association, and with Dodge City of the United States Basketball League in 2004, averaging 17.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.1 steal per game and helping Dodge City to the USBL Semifinals. Bergersen was named to the USBL All-Star team that season. He has also played overseas with the Boca Juniors of Argentina, Cholet (France), Dongbu (Korea), Palma Aqua (Spain), Karsiyaka (Turkey) and Melilla (Spain). While with Karsiyaka, Bergersen made the Turkish League All-Star team. He is averaging 13.5 points per game in his European career. He played last season in South Korea.
Selected in the second round of the NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks, he played in the NBA Summer League with both Portland and Sacramento. He was also on the Milwaukee Bucks roster briefly.
• Federal Way High School grad Terrell Smith is playing his freshman season at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif. The 6-5 small forward has played in all 18 games and is averaging 2.1 points a game and 1.6 rebounds. He is playing 10 minutes a game.
Pacific is currently 13-5 on the season and is led in scoring by Kent-Meridian graduate Steffan Johnson.
• Federal Way grad Pooh Williams is playing his freshman season at Utah State University. He red-shirted last year. The 6-4 forward is averaging 2.1 points and has started three games. He is playing 12 minutes a night for the Aggies.
“(Williams) has excellent ability and athleticism,” said head coach Stew Morrill. “This season will be a huge adjustment after sitting out last year. Needs to mature as both a person and basketball player and his practice habits are critical for his development.”
Utah State is currently 14-5 overall and leading the Western Athletic Conference at 4-0.
• Federal Way High School grad Salena Dickerson is now playing at Washington State University after red-shirting last year at Gonzaga University.
Dickerson, a 5-10 wing, is averaging 4.9 points a game and 17 minutes of playing time for the Cougars. Dickerson had a career best 15 points in a loss to North Carolina State on Nov. 23. The Cougars are currently 3-15 overall and 0-7 in the Pac-10.
• Decatur High School graduate Travis Wagner is playing his sophomore season on the Green River basketball team. Wagner is a 6-4 forward. Wagner is averaging 8.4 points and 3.1 rebounds a game and has started 14 games. Green River is 5-11 on the season.
• Federal Way grad Josh Broussard and Decatur grad Stedman Richardson are playing at Highline Community College. Broussard is a sophomore guard and Richardson is a freshman guard. Highline is currently 7-10 on the season.
• Beamer grad Whitney Lynch is playing her freshman season at Highline Community College. Lynch is a 5-8 guard/forward. Highline is currently 5-11 on the season.
• Decatur grad Kamica Ary-Turner is playing her senior season at Seattle University. The 5-10 forward is fourth on the team with 8.3 points a game and second on the team with 5.4 rebounds. She has started nine games for the Redhawks and is playing 20 minutes a night. Seattle U is currently 12-2 overall.
Ary-Turner transferred to Seattle U from Evergreen State College after her freshman year.
• Jefferson grad Kalei Frank and Federal Way grad Christine Kim are playing their first seasons at Pacific University in Forest Grove, Ore. Frank played the last two seasons at Tacoma Community College and Kim played at Highline. Both are junior guards and have started all 14 of Pacific’s games. Frank is averaging 7.4 points, 6.0 rebounds a game and leading the team in assists. Kim is averaging 9.4 points. Pacific is 2-12 on the season.
• Federal Way grad Marcus Wright is playing his first season at Evergreen State College in Olympia. Wright played the last two years at Green River. Wright is averaging three points and three rebounds. Evergreen is currently 11-5 on the season.
• Federal Way grad Marques Hollins is in his freshman season at Seattle University. Hollins is a 6-0 guard and is redshirting this year.
• Federal Way grad Nate Sanchez is playing his junior season at Westminster College in Salt Lake City. The 6-8 Sanchez averaged 13.7 points and six rebounds last year. This year he is averaging 10.9 points and 5.1 rebounds a game. Westminster College is 14-3 on the season.
• Decatur High School grad JaRon Brown is averaging 19.2 points at Shoreline Community College. Shoreline is currently 11-7 on the season.
• Federal Way grad Myron Hennings is averaging 20 points and four assists a game for Seattle Community College. Seattle is currently 3-14 overall.
Sports editor Casey Olson: 925-5565, firstname.lastname@example.org