By Vickie Chynoweth
Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe.
The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
Strawberry rhubarb tart (makes 8-10 servings)
2 cups strawberries chopped, 2 pints Sidhu Farms
2 cups sliced rhubarb, 4 stalks Sidhu Farms
2 tablespoons Nature’s Work Lemon Lime White Balsamic Vinegar
1/3 cup Novo Bees Honey LLC
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 + 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 large beaten egg
9-inch spring form pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, salt and rosemary to a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix with a fork.
3. Add Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil and egg to flour mixture stirring with a fork until combined and dough is crumbly and sticks together when pressed. You can add small amounts of extra virgin olive oil if dough is to dry. Do not over work the dough or crust will be tough.
4. Place dough on waxed paper Dust dough with flour. Using a rolling pin flatten out to 10 inches. If dough gets sticky dust with more flour. Place spring form pan on top of curst to make an indentation. Remove the crust from the outer mark of the pan and save to sprinkle on the top of tart later in recipe.
5. Invert the pie crust into a spring form pan and pull off the wax paper. Press the outer crust to the side of spring form pan to seal crust. Set aside and make filling.
1. In a medium mixing bowl add all ingredients except for cornstarch. Mixing until well combined.
2. Mix cornstarch in fruit mixture and stir until evenly coated.
3. Pour filling evenly on prepared crust.
4. Take extra crust and crumble evenly fruit filling. Place spring form pan on cookie sheet.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 50 -60 minutes. Filling will be bubbling.
6. Cool and serve with ice cream or whipping cream.