Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October at The Commons mall (s. 324th Street). Ingredients needed to the recipe below are sold at various market vendors.
Steamed kabocha cake (serves 8-10)
By Vicki Chynoweth
1 cup Kobucha cooked and pureed (PhilAm Farms)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp Five Spices powder
1/3 cup (Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon (Nature’s Works Pear White Balsamic Vinegar)
1. Cut 1 kobucha squash in half. Remove seeds. Take one half of kobucha place cut side down in 8-inch microwave proof dish. Add enough water to cover bottom of dish 1/2 inch. Microwave on high for 7-10 minutes or until kobucha is soft. Place 1 cup of pureed kobucha and set aside to cool. Leave a few pieces of the tender green rind in the pureed kobucha to add color to the cake. Use other half for another use.
2. In a large bowl whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, five spices and salt.
3. In a large mixing bowl, separate egg whites, add sugar and Pear White Balsamic Vinegar. Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
5. Mix cooled kobucha and flour mixture until well blended.
6. Gently fold kobucha mixture into egg whites until thoroughly mixed.
7. Use a 10-inch steamer pan. Take the steamer basket out of pan and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan with 1 inch of water. Bring water to a boil.
8. While water is coming to a boil, line 10 inch steamer basket with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with cooking spray. Pour kobucha mixture in parchment lined steamer basket.
9. Place steamer basket with kobucha over hot water in steamer pan. Place two paper towels cover pan, between pan and lid, to prevent steam droplets from falling on cake.
10. Cook 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Lift cake out of pan using parchment to lift cake out of pan. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Gently remove parchment paper from sides of cake.
11. Slice, serve with peaches (Federal Way Farmers Market), mangoes, sweetened coconut milk, etc. Best served warm. You don’t need to turn on the oven to make a delicious cake!