This is definitely a comfort food for chilly days. Meat and mashed potatoes with a savory sauce are the delicious elements of this dish. The corn and carrots add fall color to this dish.
Braising meat is simply a cooking method that involves browning meat in oil and then cooking in a small amount of liquid in a covered pan. This infuses the flavors and turns even the toughest meat cuts tender.
The final day of the Federal Way Farmers Market 2022 season is FROM 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28. Visit the market in costume to participate in the Halloween costume contest between noon and 2 p.m. Treats and activities await.
The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street.
Braised Beef (makes 8 servings)
By Vickie Chynoweth
1/4 cup Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pounds top-round steak
2 cups carrots sliced (Bautista Farms)
2 ears corn each cut into 4 pieces (Sidhu Farm)
4 cloves of garlic sliced and chopped (Bautista Farms)
1 large onion sliced (J & E Produce)
1 14-ounce can whole cranberry sauce
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup water
1-4 tablespoons Best Damn Chipotle Sauce Bret’s Texas Style BBQ Sauce
Fresh ground pepper to taste
8-10 potatoes peeled, sliced and boiled soft to make mashed potatoes (Amador Farms)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut beef into large chunks. Heat oil in an oven-proof large pan with a lid. Brown the beef chunks on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
3. Cook onions in the same pan. Add more oil if needed. Cook onion stirring to clean sides of pan of the brown meat juices. When onions are translucent, set aside.
4. Cook sliced carrots for 5 minutes then add minced garlic until carrots are slightly tender.
5. Set carrots aside. Place the meat in the pan. Add cranberry sauce and stir in with the meat.
6. Place onions evenly over meat. Spoon carrots over onions. Sprinkle salt evenly over the carrots. Pour water over salt and carrots.
7. Cover and cook for one hour. Take out of oven, remove lid and place cut corn on top of carrots. Place lid back on pan, return to oven and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
8. Remove meat chunks and corn. Add Chipotle BBQ sauce 1 tablespoon at a time stirring after each until the desired spiciness. Serve with mashed potatoes.