Fish & chips (serves 4)
By Vickie Chynoweth
Fish & Chips
1 pound thick cod fillet
Beer batter ingredients
1 cup all purpose white flour
1 cup beer, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 14-ounce bag coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed or dried dill weed
2 large russet potatoes peeled
2 quarts ice water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
48 ounces vegetable oil
1. Chips: Make potato chips first. Clean and peel the potatoes. Using a mandoline, thinly slice potatoes. Soak sliced potatoes in cold water for 15 minutes to remove starch. Rinse and drain. Lay rinsed potatoes on towel and place another towel on top of potatoes and pat to remove excess moisture.
2. While potato slices are drying, combine all chip spices in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a deep fryer or large pan to 350 degrees. Place 1/4 of potatoes in hot oil with slotted spoon or frying basket. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until potatoes turn golden brown.
4. With slotted spoon or basket remove cooked chips. Place on paper towels to drain excess oil and sprinkle with the desired amount of mixed chip spices.
5. Beer Battered Fish: slice thick cod fillet into 8 equal pieces, about 1 inch by 1 inch, 3 inches long. Take paper towels and make sure that all moister is removed from the outside of each fish piece.
6. In a medium sized bowl, whip egg with a fork. Add flour, beer and sugar to egg. Mix until well-blended. Batter will be slightly thick.
7. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Dredge fish pieces in batter and carefully place in hot oil. Cook 3-4 pieces at one time making sure the pieces do not touch during the cooking process. Cook for 6-7 minutes until golden brown. If you are unsure of the cooking time, cut first piece of fish in half after 6 minutes to see is fish piece is cooked through.
8. Coleslaw: Make dressing for slaw by combining all ingredients, except for cabbage. Mix stirring until sugar is dissolved. In a medium bowl empty Coleslaw mix from bag and pour dressing over the top. Stir with a large spoon until cabbage is coated evenly with dressing.
9. Serve with tartar sauce or malt vinegar and enjoy!