The Taste of Federal Way is Saturday, Sept. 25 from 11 a.m to 2 p.m. at the Federal Way Farmers Market. While you’re there, you can pick up the necessary ingredients to make the meal below.
Sausage Zuppa Toscana (makes 10 servings)
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1/2 cup each dried pigeon peas, black peas soaked overnight (PhilAm Farm)
2 cups butternut squash peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes (Amador Farm)
1 sweet onion chopped about 2 cups (J & E Farms)
2 cloves garlic minced (Lopez Farms)
2 cups yellow beet, chopped, about 2 beets (Amador Farm)
1 1/2 cup russet potato, peeled and cubed (PhilAm Farm)
12 purple potatoes, leave whole (PhilAm Farm)
2 medium carrots sliced (Amador Farm)
2 ears of corn, kernels removed, about 3 cups (Sidhu Farms)
1 bunch kale torn, stems removed (Bautista Farm)
2-3 tablespoons Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
4-4.5 ounces low sodium chicken broth
Side of bread ingredients:
Gruyere Cheese Bread Sliced (Forest Fairy Bakery)
1/4 – 1/2 cup (Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
Classic Dark Balsamic Vinegar (Nature’s Work)
Fresh ground pepper
1. Rinse and drain dried soaked beans.
2. Add olive oil to large stock pot. Saute onion, garlic, carrots and beets until tender.
3. Remove cooked vegetables from pot. Brown sausage in pot, drain off oil.
4. Add cooked vegetables to cooked sausage. Add potatoes and dried beans.
5. Add chicken broth. Cooked uncovered until boiling. Turn stove down to simmer for 90 minutes. Note: Pigeon peas will be slightly crunchy. The pigeon peas bring a nutty flavor to the soup.
6. Add milk and corn, cook until heated through about 7 minutes. Kale can be added to individual serving bowls or with milk and corn.