Steel Lake in Federal Way has reopened for swimmers, fishers and waders, according to city officials.
The lake closed on May 27 due to a raw sewage release after samples of the lake water were taken on May 24. An analysis of the samples exceeded the cutoff for safe usage of the lake, according to the city.
Steel Lake officially reopened June 6.
The 52-acre park includes a playground, concessions, picnic areas, a sand volleyball pit, a boat launch and more. Steel Lake Park is at 2410 S. 312th Street in Federal Way.
There are no lifeguards on duty at Steel Lake, and King County has tips on how to stay safe while cooling off this summer.
Know the water
- What is the temperature? Washington lakes and rivers are cold enough to cause hypothermia, even in the summer.
- Always check the water conditions prior to swimming, boating or participating in any water recreational activity.
- Never dive nor jump into unfamiliar water.
Know your limits
- Learn to float, tread water, and swim.
- Swim in lifeguarded areas.
- ALWAYS watch children closely when they are in or near any type of water.
- Avoid swimming during or after drinking alcohol.
Wear a life jacket
- It is important to wear life jackets and to make sure that life jackets fit correctly.