One man is dead and at least seven people are displaced after a two-alarm fire took over the Twin Lakes Apartments early Saturday.
The fire started just after 5 a.m. at the 3300 block of SW 320th St. in Federal Way on Dec. 21. South King Fire and Rescue crews responded to the scene along with crews from Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority, Valley Regional Fire Authority, Browns Point Fire and Tacoma Fire departments.
“There is one deceased male victim that was in one of the units,” said SKFR Assistant Chief Gordon Goodsell at the scene of the fire.
The fire has been deemed accidental, caused by unattended cooking in the deceased victim’s unit, Goodsell told the Mirror.
All 10 of the apartment units were impacted by either the blaze or subsequent water damage, Goodsell noted, and seven individuals have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting with the displaced individuals.
It was an offensive attack on the fire in the deceased victim’s unit, Goodsell said, and the fire then spread to the attic of the apartment complex.
“The particular building used to have a flat roof and then they built a pitched roof over it so that made it very difficult [to] access that attic space,” Goodsell said.
King County Sheriff’s Office is leading the fire investigation. South King Fire officials are also investigating to see if smoke alarms in the building were fully operational.