Multi-Service Center needs volunteers for its Federal Way food bank to help provide essential resources to individuals and families in need during the COVID-19 pandemic. During the first week of this crisis, MSC has already seen a 25% increase in the number of customers to the food bank that serves the Federal Way School District area.
MSC’s food bank is following CDC and public health guidelines for social distancing and cleaning and they are currently only seeking volunteers within the following parameters:
• Volunteers who are healthy and showing no signs of illness.
• Volunteers who are not members of high-risk groups for COVID-19 (high risk groups include those 60+, with underlying health conditions, or who are pregnant).
• Volunteers age 16 or older (volunteer drivers must be 21 years of age or older).
Volunteers can do a variety of tasks which are described below. MSC’s most pressing need at this time is for drivers to pick up donations.
• Greeters – Greeters welcome customers, check their ID, and write their name down on a list.
• Food Handlers – Move packaged food to table for customer to pick up and ask them their protein choice. Must be able to lift 35 lbs consistently.
• Floater/Cleaner – Package and organize food and help clean. Must be able to lift 35-50 lbs consistently.
• Traffic Control – Helps keep customers moving through process while maintaining 6 foot social distancing protocol.
• Grocery Rescue Driver – Drive van or small box truck to pick up donations at local retailers and bring them to the food bank. Must be able to lift 50 lbs consistently, be 21 years of age or older, and have valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Grocer Rescue Helper – Assist drivers in picking up donations and delivering them to the food bank. Must be able to lift 50 lbs consistently.
Because of social distancing requirements and to reduce risk of exposure MSC limits the number of volunteers per day. They currently need volunteers in the food bank Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. and Thursdays between 10 a.m.-1 p.m. They need drivers and driver helpers Monday through Friday between 7:30am-12pm.
All volunteers must complete an application online at https://mschelps.org/getinvolved/volunteer/application/ and have a background check completed prior to volunteering.
Multi-Service Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that offers people in South King County pathways out of poverty through support and resources in education, employment, housing, energy assistance, food, and clothing. We also provide statewide advocacy for elderly and disabled residents of long-term care facilities. More information can be found online or by calling 253-838-6810.