Gang member, teen charged in Federal Way drive-by murder

King County prosecutors recently charged two of three suspects in the drive-by murder that occurred at an intersection in broad daylight on April 11.

Miguel Antonio Bejar, Jr., 21, of Kent, was charged on Friday, and Anontio Inda, 15, of Burien, was charged Monday morning. Both face second-degree murder charges. Bejar is being held on $1 million bail, and Inda awaits a decline hearing to determine if he should be tried as an adult.

The Mirror is choosing to name the juvenile due to the nature of the charges.

According to charging documents, prosecutors believe Bejar and Inda – along with getaway driver Alondra Garcia-Garcia – are responsible for the death of Arturo Marcial-Alvarez, of Kent. The 19-year-old was shot multiple times and killed at 4:30 p.m. on April 11 as he exited a bus at South Dash Point Road and Pacific Highway South in Federal Way.

The lead Federal Way detective on the case wrote in charging documents that a green Honda Odyssey minivan, thought to be driven by Garcia-Garcia, followed the bus the victim was riding for eight miles from SeaTac.

According to charging documents, Marcial-Alvarez got off at a bus stop near a used-car dealership and proceeded to walk toward the minivan. They state, Bejar, who was sitting in the van’s front passenger seat, fired a gun at the victim.

“Almost simultaneously, Antonio Inda, who was also inside the minivan, put his pistol out of the same front passenger window and also fired at [victim] Alvarez,” the documents continue. “[He] tried to escape the gunfire by turning around and running south, but he was hit with three bullets to the back.”

Police found one spent .22 shell casing in the area, however, five bullets struck the victim, and five bullets hit the cars behind him.

The suspects quickly fled the scene as the victim “picked himself up from the ground and walked around the corner where he collapsed and died.”

As medics tried to revive the victim, police found a gun in his pocket.

The detective discovered later that the King County Sheriff’s Office had been in contact with Marcial-Alvarez as early as Feb. 10. He had, at that time, said he was in a “disagreement with some people and that he believed they had been looking for him, presumably, to harm him.”

Garcia-Garcia was arrested April 12 when Seattle police responded to a shooting in which Garcia-Garcia was involved. As police were investigating, they saw “Mama Pepa” written on her green minivan’s back window, which was also seen at the time of Marcial-Alvarez’s shooting.

Garcia-Garcia was arrested and charged with rendering criminal assistance, however, she denies any involvement.

Having just been released from jail on April 7 after serving a felony sentence, Bejar was arrested again on April 14 on an unrelated misdemeanor warrant, according to charging documents. Although he also denied being involved in Marcial-Alvarez’s murder, he told officers he was a member of the South Side Locos street gang and that there was an ongoing dispute between that gang and the United Lokotes, of which the detective claims Alvarez was a member.

“During his interview, Bejar told police: ‘Before the end of 2017, there’s going to be a lot of dead gangsters…’ ” charging documents state.

King County deputies arrested Inda at Highline High School on April 19. He denied being involved in street gangs and knowing Alvarez or having a connection to his murder. Police noted, however, he admitted he’d recently had an “altercation” with members of the United Lokotes street gang.

The arraignment for Bejar and Garcia-Garcia is scheduled for May 1 at the Regional Justice Center in Kent. Inda is being held in juvenile court and will be scheduled a decline hearing, where a judge will decide whether he should be prosecuted in juvenile or adult court.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@federalwaymirror.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.federalwaymirror.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

King County could be in Phase 2 in two weeks

The county is also hoping the state lets them reopen several businesses by Friday.

Federal Way raises pride flag for first time in city history

Flag will fly above City Hall for the entire month of June.

Multiple Federal Way stores hit by looters

Rapid response by police resulted in minimal loss for businesses on Sunday night, police chief says.

Looters break into 26 Tukwila businesses Sunday night; 9 arrests made

‘What happened in Tukwila was not a protest, it was coordinated looting,’ police say

Nearly 200 people gathered at the intersection of Pacific Highway South and South 320th Street on Sunday to protest the death of George Floyd. Olivia Sullivan/staff photo
Motorcyclist injures baby, two women at Sunday protest in Federal Way

All three victims were treated for minor injuries and transported to St. Francis Hospital as a precautionary measure, fire official says.

Black smoke rises from Westlake Center in Seattle as the Saturday afternoon protests result in several car fires and the looting of several downtown businesses on May 30. Courtesy photo
Federal Way police respond to Seattle protests

The responding officers are members of the multi-agency Valley Civil Disturbance Unit, officials say.

Kabal Gill, owner of East India Grill in Federal Way, wears gloves to hand over take-out orders at his restaurant on March 23. File photo
New guidelines for Phase 2 reopenings in King County

All workers will need to wear masks as restaurants, retail shops and other businesses reopen.

This undated file photo provided by U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows CDC’s laboratory test kit for the new coronavirus. Courtesy photo
Inslee wants nursing home residents and staff tested by June 12

Governor says state will pay for test kits and personal protective equipment.

Stock image
Campgrounds to reopen in 22 Washington counties

Campgrounds in counties actively in Phase 2 of the reopening plan will begin to welcome visitors June 1, state says.

Most Read