Jan Novak, owner of Federal Way Licensing Services.

Jan Novak, owner of Federal Way Licensing Services.

Need to renew your vehicle or vessel tabs? Skip the line … online!

Few chores are as tedious as waiting in a long line just to renew the tabs for your car or boat.

But here’s the good news: You don’t have to!

Federal Way Licensing Services, a private business serving South King and North Pierce County areas since 1976, provides vehicle and vessel licensing services on behalf of the County and the State.

“We’re in the community to provide extended hours and the extended days the State doesn’t provide,” explains owner Jan Novak, inviting vehicle and vessel owners to visit them in their new location at at 1320 S 324th St, Suite A2 in Federal Way

And today, there’s one more reason to visit: You can get the process started online, then SKIP THE LINE at the office!

Here’s how it works: You can quickly and easily renew your tabs online, then pick them up in person with your photo ID and and skip the line! With convenient hours, pick the time that works for your schedule… even on Saturday: Stop by Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

What if I want to renew my tabs in person?

“While the online option is a great resource for many people, renewing your tabs on-site is another simple solution,” Novak says. “All we’ll need your vehicle plate number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to access your vehicle account, photo ID, the driver license number of each registered owner and ideally, your Vehicle Renewal Notice. If you’re not the registered owner of the vehicle, you’ll need a note of authorization from the registered owner.”

And be sure to check your renewal notice carefully: do you need emissions test?

“If your vehicle is between five and 25 years old, you’ll also need an emissions test every two years for tab renewal,” Novak notes. “When doing a title transfer, a vehicle dating from 1993 to 2008 will need a current emissions test that has been taken within the last calendar year.”

But is there a cost?

Since January 2015, ALL offices apply a service fee for tab renewal. When the licensing services are provided by a sub-agent, like Federal Way Licensing Services, they keep the fee. When services are processed by the Department of Licensing or the County, the fee is applied to the fund for ferry replacement.

What that means to you is the that fee is the same, but you have more, convenient options for renewing. You can pay by check, cash and most credit cards.

Purchased a new or used vehicle?

All vehicles used on public roads within the State of Washington must be licensed. If you purchase your car, truck, camper, motor home or other vehicle from a Washington dealer, the dealer should transfer the title for you. If you purchase your vehicle through a private sale, you’ll need to transfer the title yourself within 15 days.

Need more information? Call 253-874-8375 or toll-free at 877-674-9016, or visit them online at fwtabs.com

Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@federalwaymirror.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.federalwaymirror.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in Marketplace

Dr. Scott Trapman is accepting new patients at the Pacific Medical Centers (PacMed) Federal Way at 31833 Gateway Center Blvd S. (Photo: A. Michael Cole)
There’s no quick fix to quit smoking, but this family doctor still wants to help

Former military doctor now treats Federal Way patients of all ages, helping them stay healthy

Jodi Longley, from CMG Financial
Smart solutions for savvy homeowners

All In One option re-thinks traditional 30-year mortgage

5 reasons to try Eagle Tire and Automotive

From tires to maintenance and repairs, your trusted local source is here

Using acoustic waves to relieve chronic pain

Federal Way chiropractor encouraged by results of recent study

Building resilience into back-to-school planning

CIS Federal Way supports local students in need with supplies and community connections

Healing, growth and community-building for Federal Way’s Black community

FW Black Collective launching new services during online healing event Aug. 21-23

New study: early intervention key to lasting whiplash care

Whiplash pain may resurface years later if left untreated

How the right questions yield smart mortgage solutions

New mortgage or refinancing, find a trusted source with local knowledge and experience

Innovative approach keeps theater at Centerstage

Federal Way theatre company is excited to share season with actors and audiences

Cooking up delicious ideas to keep your annual events happening safely!

Fundraisers and special events ARE still possible thanks to this innovative team

Got your back: Tech innovations bring patients the highest standard of chiropractic care

From ‘party hats’ to powerful diagnostic technology…what to expect from a visit to the chiropractor

Best Pick Reports features a curated list of professionals, evaluated based on thousands of Seattle-area customer interviews.
For a successful home project, trust a professional guaranteed by Best Pick Reports

Free guide gives Federal Way homeowners a wealth of resources, and peace of mind