Visit the Federal Way Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday through October to pick up the local ingredients needed for this week’s recipe.
The farmers market is located behind The Commons mall along South 324th Street in Federal Way.
Lowfat Blackberry Frozen Yogurt (makes 4 cups)
By Vickie Chynoweth
2 cups blackberries (Sidhu Farm)
1/2 cup honey (Nova Bees)
3 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of whipped cream (optional)
1. In a bowl puree the blackberries and honey with an electric hand blender or blender. Reserve 2 tablespoons of blackberry puree.
2. Add yogurt and vanilla to the blackberry puree. Using the hand blender mix until well combined.
3. Pour yogurt mixture into a glass 8×8-inch square pan. Take reserved blackberry and in an S motion drip puree on yogurt. Take a knife and in an S motion through the puree mixture to make swirl marks with dark puree and lighter yogurt mixture.
4. Put in freezer for 4 hours. Serve with additional blackberries and whipped cream.
5. If yogurt is kept in freezer overnight, you will need to take out of the freezer and thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
Chef tip: This is also a good recipe for yogurt popsicles. In popsicle molds, fill to the line, place popsicle cap on and freeze for 3-4 hours.