A Saturday in the summer isn’t complete without a trip to the Federal Way Farmers Market.
Visit the market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Saturday through October and pick up locally-sourced ingredients needed for the meal below.
The final Federal Way’s Got Talent competition is at noon Saturday, Aug. 7. The chosen finalists will compete in September for a chance to perform at the Taste of Federal Way festival Saturday, Sept. 25.
The Federal Way Farmers Market is located in The Commons mall parking lot along S. 324th Street in Federal Way.
Eggplant parmesan with pesto (makes 8-10 servings)
By Vickie Chynoweth
2 eggplants, sliced 1/2-inch thick (Amador Farm)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup Italian Style breadcrumbs
1 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Kosher salt (do not use table salt)
Freshly ground pepper
Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 mozzarella cheese slices
24 ounce marinara sauce (your favorite)
1 cup fresh basil leaves, purple or green (Lopez Farm)
3 cloves garlic, peeled (Lopez Farm)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/3 cup Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place eggplant slices on baking sheet. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and let set for 1 hour. After 1 hour, brush off liquid that has formed on top and excess salt.
2. In a shallow bowl, add breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, dried thyme and pepper. Mix until blended.
3. In the second shallow bowl, whisk eggs and milk until eggs until eggs are beaten.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet and add 1 – 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. When oil is hot, add eggplant that has been dredged in egg mixture then in breadcrumbs, until eggplant is coated well on both sides. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly brush a 9×13 baking pan with olive oil. Spread enough marinara sauce to cover bottom of pan place eggplant in a single layer. Drizzle eggplant with olive oil. Cover eggplant with marinara sauce. Add slices of cheese to cover eggplant. Repeat layer with eggplant, olive oil drizzle, marinara and mozzarella cheese slices. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
7. Remove from oven. Serve with a dollop of pesto.
1. Combine basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in food processor. Season with salt and pepper. I used purple basil leaves for this recipe.
2. With food processor running, add Ancient Trees Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a slow stream until blended and pine nuts are ground. Enjoy!