Balsamic fig cake
By Vickie Chynoweth
1 cup dried figs chopped
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Fig Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup shredded coconut
1. Prepare 9×13 inch baking pan spraying lightly with cooking oil and set side. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine chopped figs and baking soda. Pour boiling hot water over the top of figs and soak for 15 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, add butter, egg, vanilla, and sugar, mix with electric mixer until creamy. Add cooled fig mixture. Stir in flour and mix until combined.
4. Pour fig mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. While cake is cooking in the oven, mix 6 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark) and 1/4 cup fig balsamic vinegar.
7. Take cake out of oven after 30 minutes. Turn the oven to broil. Spoon fig balsamic mixture onto cake spreading gently to cover cake. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and place back in the oven on middle shelf, until coconut turns brown.
8. Serve warm with whipped cream.