- About Us
Sports briefs: Secoma Lanes hosting tournament on May 22
Secoma Lanes is hosting a 616 Trios Plus 1 bowling tournament on May 23 with a first-place prize projected to be $3,200. Each team includes four players, and three members of the team must have a three-game average under 616 pins. The fourth member of the team can have an unlimited average. The cost is $500 per team and special guests will include Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) member Wes Malott and PBA color analyst Randy Peterson. To register, visit www.616trios.com.
Secoma Lanes is also hosting a bowling seminar from noon to 4 p.m. May 22. Each participant will receive a commemorative bowling pin and coaching tips from Peterson and Malott. The seminar is limited to the first 30 entries and there is a $100 entry fee. Contact Marty at (253) 261-6646.
• Thomas Jefferson High School is hosting a 2010 Raider Basketball Camp from June 28 to July 1. The camp is taught by Raider head boys basketball coach Kyle Templeton and is for boys and girls entering grades four through eight. The camp is from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day.
The cost is $90 per camper and if you pre-register by June 4, it’s only $75. Each camper gets a T-shirt and basketball. The focus will be becoming better basketball players as well as individual skills. There will be a 40-minute lunch break each day. Campers must bring their own lunch.
For more information, contact Templeton at (206) 518-0503 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration can be done at Jefferson from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Decatur High School is hosting the 2010 Gator Basketball Camp from June 21 to June 24. The camp is taught by head boys basketball coach Kevin Olson and is for boys and girls entering grades four through nine. The camp is from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day. Cost is $100 per camper and if you pre-register by June 4, it’s only $90. Each camper will receive a T-shirt, basketball and personal evaluation. There will be a 40-minute lunch break each day. Campers must bring their own lunch. Contact Kevin Olson at (253) 945-5251 or e-mail email@example.com. Registration can be done at Decatur High School from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• The Federal Way Track Club will offer its Summer Track Program at Thomas Jefferson High School. The program is for athletes ages 8 to 13. Practice is held Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m. beginning May 17. The program for athletes ages 14 to 18 is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m. beginning June 1. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
• Des Moines Parks & Recreation is hosting a Diamond Skills Baseball Camp with Brandon Newell. The camp will be at Mount Rainier High School July 26-29. It will be from 9 a.m. to noon for 7 to 11 year olds and from 1 to 4 p.m. for 12 to 15 year olds. Pricing information can be found at www.desmoineswa.gov/diamondcamp or call (206) 870-6527.
• Applications are available at TOP Food & Drug stores for grants of up to $10,000 to improve community youth baseball/softball fields.
The Pepsi Refresh Your Field Project, co-sponsored by TOP Food & Drug, will award a grant of $10,000 and two grants of $5,000 to community fields in Washington. Applications must be postmarked by May 21 to be considered.
Applicants must detail why their local youth baseball and/or softball program needs a Pepsi Grant for local field renovation (or for new equipment or new uniforms) and how a Pepsi Grant will be used to accomplish the program’s goals. Prizes will be awarded to the official league, local park district or recreational center (as applicable) and not to individual winners or teams.
Five finalists will be selected. Fans at home games of the Seattle Mariners between June 7 and Aug. 15 will vote to determine the grant winners.
For application forms, visit the in-store displays at TOP Food & Drug stores.
• The Twin Lakes Penguin summer swim team is hosting a sign-up from 9 to 11:30 a.m. on May 15 at the Twin Lakes Country Club. The swim team is available to swimmers up to 18 years old who carry a Twin Lakes Golf and Country Club membership. Swimmers must be able to swim the length of the pool (25 yards) for safety reasons.
The cost is $90 for the first child and $35 for each additional child with a cap of $160. Practice begins on June 1.
For more information, email Shannon at email@example.com for more information.
• The Federal Way High School dance team will be hosting a dance showcase at 6 p.m. inside the school’s gymnasium on May 14. The showcase will also feature guest dancers and costs $5.
For additional information, contact Pat Adkins at (253) 945-5519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send Sports Briefs to email@example.com