Pulu sentenced to six months for University of Washington assault

Former University of Washington defensive end Andru Pulu was sentenced to six months in jail in connection with an attack on a fellow Husky athlete in March. The 2009 Federal Way High School graduate pled guilty to felony second-degree assault in King County Court last month.

King County Superior Court Judge Michael Heavey said Pulu could serve the sentence in work release, according to the Seattle Times. The prosecuting attorney and Pulu's attorneys had agreed on a recommendation of three months in jail or in work release, but Heavey went beyond the recommendation in sentencing Pulu, according to court records.

Pulu, 18, played in 12 games as a true freshman on the University of Washington football team in the fall. But was suspended indefinitely from the team in March by head coach Steve Sarkisian. The 6-foot-1, 250-pounder was a backup defensive end and special teams standout. It's still unknown if Pulu will ever return to the University of Washington football team.

He was expected to compete for one of the starting defensive end spots before being arrested in connection with the assault on a Husky soccer player at an off-campus party March 7.

According to a Seattle police report, obtained by the Mirror, the 22-year-old victim told an officer that he was at the party and saw a man, described as Pulu, in a verbal argument with another man. The victim attempted to break up the fight, telling the man, "It's not that big of a deal." The suspect then allegedly grabbed the man's neck and told him, "It is that big of a deal," according to the report.

Witnesses told police the victim was struck on the left side of his face and knocked to the ground. They also told police the attacker stomped on his right temple, causing him to lose consciousness, according to the report.

The police report said the victim suffered a broken nose. A Seattle Police officer noticed swelling on the left side of his face "and a boot print on his right temple."

Pulu originally pled not guilty to the assault charges at an arraignment in March and was released on $30,000.

According to the University of Washington's student newspaper, The Daily, Pulu has received an order of dismissal from the UW.

Pulu was one of 10 true freshmen who saw playing time last fall for Washington. He totaled just two tackles on the season, but his first was a shared sack against Idaho.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates