Pulu pleads not guilty to University of Washington assault charges

University of Washington freshman defensive end Andru Pulu pleaded not guilty to one count of second-degree assault Tuesday, in connection to an alleged attack on a fellow Husky athlete.

The Federal Way High School graduate will be back in court on April 26 for a pre-trial hearing. He was indefinitely suspended from the Washington football team by head coach Steve Sarkisian on March 9.

Pulu was charged in connection to allegedly assaulting a member of the UW soccer team at an off-campus party on March 7, according to the University of Washington Daily newspaper.

According to a Seattle police report, obtained by the Mirror, the 22-year-old victim told an officer that he was at a party and saw a man in a verbal argument with another man. The victim attempted to break up the fight, telling the man, "It's not that big of a deal." The suspect then allegedly grabbed the man's neck and told him, "It is that big of a deal," according to the report.

Witnesses told police the man was struck on the left side of his face and knocked to the ground. They also told police the attacker stomped on his right temple, causing him to lose consciousness, according to the report.

The police report said the victim suffered a broken nose and may have a fractured cheekbone. A Seattle Police officer noticed swelling on the left side of his face "and a boot print on his right temple."

The state agreed to release Pulu on $30,000 bail on two conditions — that he refrain from using alcohol and illegal substances, and that he abide by a curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

A judge ordered Pulu to be registered for electronic home detention (EHD), a more restrictive program designed to monitor compliance to the curfew and other conditions, according to an article in The Daily. The defense argued that a more restrictive monitoring program would demonstrate Pulu’s readiness to cooperate with the state and remain compliant to court orders.

The judge also imposed an order prohibiting Pulu to have any contact with the victim, saying that even contact through Facebook could result in additional charges.

According to the Daily, Pulu has received an order of dismissal from the UW. When addressing the court, Pulu's defense attorney stated that he intends to appeal the decision and can reapply to the university in the future if his appeal is denied.

Pulu was one of 10 true freshmen who saw playing time last fall for Washington. He totaled just two tackles on the season, but his first was a shared sack against Idaho.

The 6-foot-1, 251-pounder also was a regular on the UW's kick return teams and played in all 12 games.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates