Walter Ray Williams coming to Secoma Lanes next month
By CASEY OLSON
Federal Way Mirror Sports editor
June 5, 2009 · Updated 10:59 AM
Secoma Lanes will have bowling royalty throwing strikes in Federal Way next month.
Walter Ray Williams Jr. is coming to town to conduct two bowling clinics and to compete in the Professional Bowlers Association Regional Tour at Secoma Lanes July 17 to 19.
“It’s going to be exciting,” said Secoma Lanes’ bowling manager Mike Martin. “We have never had a PBA Regional event here at Secoma Lanes.”
Secoma Lanes attempted to host a PBA regional tournament last year, but things fell through.
“This year we started in September or October to get things together,” Martin said. “We are hoping to get 80 to 100 regional players at the tournament.”
The most well-known, by far, will be Williams. The California native was recently voted the second greatest bowler in the 50-year history of the PBA and is a member of the PBA Hall of Fame.
Williams has won the tour’s Player of the Year award six times and his career earnings top the $4 million barrier. He has appeared on television 165 times and won at least one PBA event in 16 consecutive seasons.
Williams will be conducting a pair of clinics on July 16 and both sold out within a week, according to Martin.
The PBA Regional Tournament will be the marquee event celebrating Secoma Lanes’ 50th anniversary in Federal Way. The bowling center was opened in 1959 by Elroy “Rocky” Rockwell, who is still involved in the day-to-day operations of the bowling alley at 86 years old.
“This kind of tops off our 50th anniversary,” Martin said.
“We are probably running about the same as last year,” Martin said. “But this weather is killing us. When it gets hot outside, everybody wants to be enjoying the weather. We do our best business in the fall when it’s raining out.”Contact Federal Way Mirror Sports editor Casey Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 925-5565 ext. 5056.