- Elected leaders, hopefuls mull college at Weyerhaeuser site in Federal Way
- Federal Way chiropractor gives up license after sexual misconduct conviction
- Federal Way Public Schools staff rally before school starts
- Federal Way school board adopts budget for 2014-15
- Highline joins initiative to strengthen manufacturers
- Mirror's Citizen of the Month: Pastor Jon McIntosh
- State testing results released; schools hold steady
- Time capsule reveals history of longtime business, Federal Way | Slideshow
- Weyerhaeuser to move headquarters from Federal Way to Seattle
- Woman raped after hitchhiking | Federal Way Police Blotter
- About Us
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Beamer cross country runner heading Down Under
Todd Beamer High School junior Jacob Wittman is hoping to run halfway across the world, literally.
Wittman, a cross country runner for the Titans, has been invited by Down Under International Games to compete for the Washington state team in Australia.
“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Wittman said.
Wittman was nominated by his head coach at Beamer, Scott Haines, to make the trip to Australia and compete in a pair of cross country meets. The first will be an All-American meet with about 300 athletes from the United States and the second will be an international meet with close to 1,000 kids competing.
Wittman was one of the top runners for Beamer during his junior season last fall. He finished 20th at the South Puget Sound League Sub-District Meet and was 81st at the West Central District Meet.
DownUnder Sports also features athletes in golf, basketball, wrestling, football, volleyball, swimming, track and field and cheerleading. The team will travel from Australia to Hawaii once the cross country competition concludes, and spend three days there before flying home.
With a spot on the Washington team secured, Wittman’s attention now turns raising the money needed for the trip. The cost is approximately $4,500 and will take place July 11-22.
“I have sent out a bunch of sponsor letters to a bunch of people,” Wittman said. “This trip would be a huge chance and I do not want to see it pass by due to a lack of funds. Whatever I don’t raise will come out of my pocket.”
To donate to Wittman, make checks out to International Sports Specialists, Inc. and send them to 34919 26th Ct. SW, Federal Way, Wash. 98023. You can also email Wittman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.