- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
LITTLE LEAGUE: FW National, Steel Lake advance in 10-11 all-star tournament
The two Federal Way Little League organizations rolled into the semifinals of the District 10 this week at the 10-11 all-star tournament. Steel Lake and Federal Way National are scheduled to play at 6 p.m. Thursday with a berth into the championship on the line. The tournament is being played at the Federal Way National Little League Complex.
Steel Lake earned the semifinal berth with wins over Bonney Lake/Sumner Saturday, South Hill Sunday and Auburn on Monday. National beat Kent in its opener Saturday and downed Chinook Sunday.
Steel Lake's team includes Jack Arsenian, Zach Chanes, Jack Ellis, Marcus Lacey, Justin Maggerise, Ryan Oka, Elyas Poore, Marques Richards, Justin Sanders, Jeffrey Sichmeller, Connor Smith and Justin Tokunaga. The team is coached by Jim Chanes, who is assisted by Tom Maggerise and Jeff Sichmeller.
Federal Way National includes Cole Bakker, David Bedell, Carter Berry, Alex Bradshaw, Connor Ellingson, Abiel Gonzales, Judah Graham, Colin Heffernan, Brady Houston, Tyler Hoeft, Spencer Sugg, Adam Taylor and Zachary Yoon.
In other District 10 all-star tournament action:
• The Federal Way National 10-11 softball team advanced into the District 10 championship game with wins over a combined Auburn/Kent team in the opening round and Chinook earlier in the week. Federal Way will have to get beat twice to not win the district crown. The first championship is scheduled for Thursday at the Federal Way National Complex.
The team includes Chloe Barrier, Hannah Blackmon, Abigail Cretti, Callie Davis, Sierra Jasso, Jessica Karmell, Destiny Medina, Audrey Patton, Haylee Pollard, Kawehioalani Sharpe, Leyna Wiley and Ainsley Yoshizumi.
• The Federal Way National 9-10 softball team finished in second place at the District 10 All-Star Tournament, losing to Soundview in the championship game on June 20, 8-6. The tournament was held at the Federal Way National Complex.
The team included Christine Lee, Kaitlyn Terzakos, Peyton Miller, Jesenay Agulto, Faith Morris, Madison Johnson, Tiana MacLarty, Kaycie Haven, Maclairen Magruder, Anna Swanson, Jimena Cervantes, Elizabeth Wagner and Raiven Alexander-Brown. The team was coached by Tom Magruder.
• The marquee event of the all-star season, the 2013 Little League (11-12) Baseball Tournament, kicks off Saturday at GSA Park in Auburn. The tournament ultimately culminates at the Little League World Series.
Federal Way National will open against Steel Lake at 9 a.m. National's team includes Malachi Afework, Blake Beck, Nate Clow, Tommy Davis, Gavin Knapp, Travis Miller, Brandon Niksich, Brandham Ponce, Ben Ray, Kyle Russell, Tyler Tribble, Tate Wallat and Mark Wright.
Steel Lake's team includes Jiyah Stewart, Connor Wells, Hunter Burget, Matthew Cundiff, Adam Daoud, Rake Fuavai, Ada Kempton, CJ McKelvey, Kincade McFarlane, Alex Miller, Raydin McSweeney and Bailey Phelps.
• The Federal Way National Junior Softball Team (15-under) starts their postseason run on July 1 at Tahoma High School. National will play a combined team of Bonney Lake/Sumner/South Hill at 6 p.m.
The team includes Kim Brainard, Ashley Clark, Hannah Coburn, Kayla Gaerttner, Alex Haven, Amanda Henderson, Jessie Holder, Tricia Hultman, Halli McGraw, Isabelle McLarty, Dejia Phelps, Sam Simundson, Gennie Summers and Grace Sunitsch.
• The Federal Way National Majors (12-under) softball team will open up their District 10 tournament on Thursday at the Federal Way National Complex. The team is a combination of Federal Way and Bonney Lake/Sumner and includes Karsyn Bryant, Lindsay Cummings, Aislind Dail, Autumn Harris, Chloe Kirsch, Taylor McGillis, Lauren Meyer, Marie Poloma, Sidney Stratto, Hannah Togia and Shelby Welfringer.