First-place battle shut down by Mother Nature


Sports editor

It was supposed to be a battle for first place in the South Puget Sound League South Division. But Tuesday night’s matchup between the Decatur and Curtis soccer teams fell victim to Mother Nature.

A power outage at Federal Way Memorial Stadium and subsequent lightning in the area forced referees to cancel the game between the lone remaining unbeaten teams in the SPSL South.

“The number-one concern was the safety of the coaches,” Decatur head coach Jimmy McAlister joked about the lightning strikes. “I think the kids would have been fine, but I didn’t want to get shocked.”

Power to the lights at Federal Way Memorial Stadium was actually restored about 7 p.m. — a half-hour before the Decatur-Curtis game was scheduled to start — but that is when the lightning started, McAlister said.

“It just wasn’t worth messing with,” he said.

Curtis and Decatur are both 5-0 in SPSL South play with four games remaining for each school. Tuesday’s match has been rescheduled for Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Federal Way Memorial Stadium.

Tuesday’s weather also forced the cancellation of a match between Todd Beamer and Emerald Ridge. The two teams were scheduled to play at 5:30 p.m. at Federal Way Memorial Stadium. Beamer sits three points back of second-place Jefferson with a 4-1 SPSL South record. Jefferson sits 5-1 after beating Spanaway Lake Tuesday 6-0. Decatur is responsible for both of the teams’ losses.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates