Federal Way wins in shootout fashion — again


The Mirror

The Federal Way Eagles just keep rolling.

The Eagles shot their way into the quarterfinals of the Class 4A State Boys Soccer Tournament with a 2-1 shootout win over Evergreen (Vancouver) Tuesday night at Federal Way Memorial Stadium. The win set up a rematch with district rival Beamer in the state’s final eight last night (after press time). It was a rematch of the South Puget Sound League championship game, which the Eagles won 3-2 in a shootout.

Against Evergreen, it was Murphy Campbell who tallied the game-winner for the biggest goal of his high school career. The junior was the fifth and final shooter in the Eagles’ penalty-kick lineup and proved why head coach Jason Baumgardt uses him as his closer.

With the shootout tied 4-4, Murphy stepped up and sizzled the ball past Evergreen goalkeeper Jordan Aragon to give the Eagles the win and send the partisan Federal Way Memorial Stadium crowd into a frenzy.

The Eagles earned the 5-4 advantage in the shootout because Federal Way freshman goalkeeper Eddie Gomez stopped Evergreen’s third shot of the overtime period. Gomez entered the game late in the first half after the Eagles’ All-SPSL North goalkeeper, sophomore Vinton Lane, was helped off the field after getting kicked in the leg. Federal Way was also playing without the SPSL North Most Valuable Player, junior defender Omar Cruz, who was assessed a red card during the Eagles’ West Central District victory over South Kitsap last weekend.

Washington state rules mandate that if a player receives a red card, they are forced to sit out the team’s next game.

Federal Way freshman Kelyn Rowe led off the shootout by beating Aragon, senior Derek Paulino followed to make it 2-2. The Eagles then got conversions from junior Carter Broussard and senior Randal Ventura to set up Campbell’s winning kick.

The win improved Federal Way to 14-1-4 on the season and ended Evergreen’s season 10-5-4. The Eagles dropped their first match of the season, a non-leaguer to Inglemoor. Since then they have racked up 18-straight matches without a loss. Inglemoor is still alive in the state playoffs.

Tuesday’s match was pretty uneventful, in terms of scoring opportunities, until late in the second half.

Rowe struck first in the 67th minute when he knocked in a pass from Lalo Moralles to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead.

But Evergreen came right back with a goal of its own in the 75th minute when Rubi Beltran converted on a penalty kick to tie the game at 1. Federal Way peppered Aragon all night long, but Rowe’s shot was the only one that got through during regulation. The talented Evergreen goalkeeper tallied 12 saves during the game.

The 10-minute sudden-death overtime session yielded no goals and sent the game to the penalty-kick shootout, which the Eagles are well versed at.

During their win over Beamer in the South Puget Sound League Championship match, Federal Way also converted all of its shootout opportunities.

Sports editor Casey Olson: 925-5565,

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates