- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Soccer: Kelyn Rowe impresses at UCLA | Tracking the grads
Federal Way High School grad Kelyn Rowe is playing his sophomore year on the UCLA men’s soccer team.
This season, Rowe has started all nine UCLA games and has three goals and four assists for the 5-3-1 Bruins, who are ranked 16th in the nation.
During his freshman season at UCLA, Rowe finished with seven goals and led the Bruins with 10 assists. He was named the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.
Rowe was also named to Soccer America’s All-Freshman first-team and to the 2010 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/Performance Subaru Men’s NCAA Division I All-American Team as a third-team selection.
Rowe finished the season ranked third in the Pac-10 and second on the team in points (24), fourth in the Pac-10 and second on the team in goals (seven), and second in the conference and first on the team in assists (10). Rowe also earned first-team NSCAA All-Far West and All-Pac-10 honors, as well as first-team All-Rookie honors from Top Drawer Soccer.
The impressive freshman season ended with Rowe being selected to the United States U-20 World Cup qualifying roster. He played in the CONCACAF Cup in Guatemala in spring. During the tournament, Rowe led the Americans with three goals.
Rowe has been named to the Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy Watch List for the 2011 season. Rowe is one of just six sophomores on the 42-man list.
The Hermann Trophy is the highest individual award in intercollegiate soccer. The recipients are selected by head coaches of NCAA Division I programs who are members of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA).
Rowe was also selected to the College Soccer News preseason All-America first team. He is the only underclassman named to the first or second team.
Other Federal Way grads:
• Troy Peterson: The Todd Beamer grad is playing his freshman season at the College of Charleston in South Carolina. The midfielder has played in all seven of the team’s matches this season, starting six. He has two goals and one assist, including a game-winner. The Cougars are 4-3-1 on the season, including wins over 15th-ranked South Carolina and a tie against 26th-ranked Princeton. Peterson was a first-team, all-state selection last year at Beamer and also played on the Sounders FC Academy squad.
• Sean Ugo Okoli: The Beamer grad is playing his freshman season at Wake Forest University in North Carolina. The forward has played in all eight matches for the Deamon Deacons, but has yet to score a goal. Wake Forest is 3-4-1 overall with wins over Clemson, Cleveland State and Winthrop. Okoli was the Class 4A state player of the year a season ago, plays on the United States National Team and also was a member of the Sounder FC Academy squad.
• Danny Wenzel: The Federal Way resident and Bellarmine Prep grad is playing at Wake Forest. The defender was a standout as a freshman in 2008, being named All-Atlantic Coast Conference and a freshman All-American. Wenzel sat out the 2009 season following knee reconstruction surgery and also missed four games last year because of injury. Wenzel is also a member of the US National Team player pool. This season at Wake Forest, Wenzel has played in all eight of the Deamon Deacons matches in defense.
• Chase Hanson: The Thomas Jefferson grad is playing his freshman season at Barry University in Florida. The midfielder was the SPSL North MVP a season ago. This season for Barry, Hanson has played in seven matches, starting six. He has one assist and one shot on goal. Barry is 7-1-0 on the season.
• Josh Smith: The 2010 Decatur graduate is playing his sophomore season at Oregon State. The midfielder has played in four matches for the Beavers this season, starting three. The Beavers are 2-5-1 on the season.
• Brandon Brockway: The Beamer grad is playing his freshman season at Oregon State. The defender has yet to play this season for the Beavers. Brockway was an all-state selection last season for Beamer.
• Murphy Campbell: The Federal Way High School graduate is playing his senior season at Santa Clara University. Campbell has played in only one match this season for the 4-1-3 Broncos. Campbell was named an All-West Coast Conference midfielder last year after starting 20 games and helping Santa Clara win the league title.
• Ricco Sanchez: The Todd Beamer grad is playing his senior year at Saint Martin’s University. The midfielder has started five matches this season for the Saints. Saint Martin’s is currently 3-3-0 on the year.
• Erik Lissak: The Todd Beamer grad is playing his redshirt freshman season at Western Washington. The defender has yet to play in a match for the 3-3-0 Vikings.
• Adam Duke and Lalo Morales: The two district graduates are playing at Highline Community College. Duke is a freshman goalkeeper from Thomas Jefferson and Morales is a freshman midfielder from Federal Way. Highline has started the season 5-0-1.
• Christopher Hicks: The Thomas Jefferson grad is playing at Tacoma Community College. The sophomore goalkeeper has helped Tacoma start the year 3-1-0.
Tracking the Grads appears periodically in the Mirror detailing the college careers of area student-athletes. Let us know if we missed anybody at firstname.lastname@example.org