- About Us
Marijuana and racism in the U.S. | Federal Way letters
Apparently, The Overton Window for most politicians has not passed the point where they are ready to abandon the racist lies used to outlaw cannabis to begin with:
• "Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice." (Hearst newspapers nationwide, 1934)
• "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana can cause white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."
• "...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races." — Federal Bureau of Narcotics Director Harry J. Anslinger, 1930
• "Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." — Federal Bureau of Narcotics Director Harry J. Anslinger, 1929
• "Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality and death."
• "Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."
• "(Smoking) one (marihuana) cigarette might develop a homicidal mania, probably to kill his brother." (see U.S. Government Propaganda To Outlaw Marijuana, www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/taxact/t3.htm)
This absurd drivel is responsible for sending millions of people to jail and prison. Sensible people say it is long past time to end a lie based marijuana inquisition.
Ralph Givens, Daly City, Calif.