- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Tips to improve Federal Way traffic camera system | Letter
I read your factual article on the red light camera system and there were several glowing omissions, which I brought up when I had a private meeting with the city mayor and police chief. Those omissions include the following:
1. There should be a minimum five second interval between yellow and red lights at the three intersections so it doesn’t go red while cars are still going through the intersection (as is happening now).
2. They shouldn’t be ticketing motorists for right turns as it is too controversial (as is happening now).
3. They should have fixed the traffic light system at these intersections BEFORE they installed the red light cameras (case in point — traffic going north to south at 348th and 16th Avenue South; lights need to be visually monitored and controlled manually by a qualified individual based on traffic patterns/time of day).
4. School speed zone traffic cameras on 21st Avenue South are illegal as they are too far from Saghalie Middle School. They should be installed on 348th pedestrian crossing instead.
5. And finally, if the city is going to have a red light camera system, infractions should be processed by city personnel (like the city of Auburn does) — not contracted out.
Gary Robertson, Federal Way