- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Conservatives vs. liberals: One American’s view
What is the difference between a conservative and a liberal?
In this country, there seems to be a war between liberals and conservatives. Let’s look at the differences.
1. Conservatives believe in policies because they work. Liberals believe in policies because they are nice.
2. Conservatives for the most part believe in God. Liberals for the most part are hostile to Christianity.
3. Conservatives believe there is no perfect system. Liberals believe that a perfect system can be brought about by government action.
4. Conservatives believe man by his nature is imperfect, and that there’s no such thing as perfection. Liberals believe that man can be perfect, if only he had perfect laws and perfect systems.
5. Conservatives believe in keeping their guns and locking up the bad guys. Liberals believe that if we only had a more just system, less racism and poverty, things would just be peachy.
I was once a victim of urban violence. I was robbed and attacked while minding my own business. After the attack by two black guys, I didn’t ask nor care if they had come from a single-parent home. I also didn’t care if they had been victims of racism or went to failing schools.
What I did care about is locking those guys up. What I also cared about is not living in a society that always makes excuses for criminal behavior. We tend to make excuses for everything. Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for anything. We even try to justify why Johnny can’t read or Johnny can’t write by saying he is poor or a member of a minority group. When in fact, Johnny can’t read or write because he didn’t practice. However, we have guilt-ridden white liberals who say give them a pass so they can feel better, and unfortunately, Johnny still can’t read or write.
It is important to understand that if you are a liberal, it is all about the feelings, and if you feel good, it must be good. Conservatives worry about the breakdown of the nuclear family and why we can’t say Christmas instead of some namby-pamby Winter Holidays.
I get angry when politicians make fun of conservatives by saying they have to hold onto their God and their guns. And if only conservatives were smarter, they wouldn’t need those crutches.
Most Americans believe this is a Judeo-Christian country and we should take care of Americans first. However, if you say that, the liberals and their willing henchmen in the media will be quick to use the “R” word and accuse you of being anti-immigrant, especially if you want English to be the official language.
The reality of the situation is that there is probably enough for every man’s need, but not enough for every man’s greed. Most churches are staffed by conservatives who believe in those Ten Commandments, however imperfect they are. They also believe that we are our brother’s keeper, and that what you do to the lesser of thy brethren, you also do to me.
In the final analysis, I would rather live my life believing there was a God and find out there wasn’t, than live my life with my own selfish pursuits and find out that there was.
Federal Way resident Walter Backstrom can be reached at: email@example.com