Federal Way police are investigating an attempted kidnapping of a Lakota Middle School student who was walking home near Decatur High School after a school activity, according to Federal Way Public Schools officials.
The district sent letters to families of both schools on Thursday afternoon, notifying them about the incident that occurred on Tuesday evening.
According to the letter, the school district was notified about the attempted kidnapping on Thursday.
A Lakota scholar reported being approached by a suspicious person at approximately 6 p.m. near Southwest 320th Street and 25th Avenue Southwest, the letter continues. The student was walking home after a school activity and the incident occurred near Decatur High School.
The student’s family notified the Federal Way Police Department on Tuesday evening. The Mirror could not reach police officials for immediate comment.
The incident was then reported to the Lakota Middle School administration on Thursday, who reported it to the Federal Way Public Schools Security Department.
According to Commander Kurt Schwan of the Federal Way Police Department, the student was approached on May 14 by a hispanic male around 40 years old.
The suspect was allegedly driving a dark colored pick-up truck.
There is currently no additional information available, but Schwan said this is an open and active investigation.
For enhanced safety, district security will provide extra security near the location reported by the student, according to the letter.
The district also urged families as a precautionary measure to remind children to follow these safety tips whenever they are walking, whether to or from school or elsewhere:
• Walk with one or more friends
• Use sidewalks or paths that are in plain sight of passing cars and surrounding homes or businesses
• Don’t use shortcuts or trails
• Be alert and aware of your surroundings, especially the people and cars around you
• If a stranger speaks or gestures to you, don’t respond
• Don’t go anywhere with a stranger and don’t get into a stranger’s vehicle
• Don’t allow a stranger to get close enough to reach you
• Yell loudly for help if someone attempts to force you into a vehicle