Man waves knives during four-hour SWAT standoff in Federal Way

Federal Way Police Department - Contributed photo
Federal Way Police Department
— image credit: Contributed photo

Police arrested a man after a dispute between two roommates turned violent and culminated in a four-hour SWAT standoff on Sunday.

Officers responded to a domestic violence report with the possibility of a knife involved at 12:24 a.m. in the 400 block of SW 368th St. When officers arrived, the 40-year-old victim exited the house with an abrasion and blood on his elbow, according to the police report. The victim was intoxicated, telling police he had five or six shots and three beers. The story he shared with police several times was consistent, according to a police report.

The victim said his roommate had also been drinking and the altercation began when they were arguing about the suspect’s family issues. The 29-year-old suspect allegedly shoved the victim against the wall three times, causing the abrasion on his elbow. Officers determined there was probable cause to arrest the suspect for fourth-degree assault, the report continues.

The victim told officers the suspect was suicidal and that there were knives in the house. He told police the suspect was released from a mental health facility two days prior and while the suspect had a knife, he never threatened the victim with it, the report continues.

Officers could observe the suspect pacing in an agitated fashion. Shortly after 1 a.m., police announced from a loudspeaker that the suspect was under arrest and should exit the house, but the suspect was noncompliant, the report states.

At 1:26 a.m., an officer fired two 40 mm less-lethal rounds at the exterior of the house in an attempt to gain compliance, according to the report. A few minutes later the suspect began making suicidal comments, including “I’m not going to be taken alive.” Shortly after 2:30 a.m., police deployed a noise-flash diversionary device to try to get the suspect to exit the house, the report continues.

Officers observed the suspect use knives to cut the screen out of the window and cut down the blinds. The suspect also stayed visible in the window and waved another knife at the officers, according to the report. He was drinking beer and smoking marijuana throughout the standoff and also urinated out the front window in front of the officers, according to the report.

The suspect told police he didn’t want to hurt anyone but could not guarantee anyone’s safety if he was put in that position, the report continues. The suspect then became agitated and stabbed the window sill with a blade he said he would die with.

Police obtained a search warrant and at 5:15 a.m. a SWAT team arrived in an armored vehicle. The suspect then exited the house, still smoking marijuana, laid on the ground and was taken into custody, the report continues.

SWAT then cleared the house and found no one else inside. The suspect was booked into SCORE jail.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates