- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
IN OTHER NEWS
Father pleads not guilty in death of son
Alberto Rios on Wednesday entered a not guilty plea of second degree manslaughter in the death of his 7-month-old son, who was found deceased in a backyard fire pit June 22.
Rios was prepared to enter a guilty plea, but on the advice of his lawyers did not do so, reports said. He reportedly fell asleep on a bench by a fire pit with his son on his chest late June 21 after consuming three to six beers. Rios awoke to find the infant missing. The baby was then discovered by Rios in the fire pit. The baby suffered burns to his entire body.
The infant was alive upon entering the fire, according to a report by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office. He ingested soot from the fire into his esophagus, according to the report.
Rios is being held on $1 million bail. He has been deported from the United States on three occasions and has four prior drug convictions, which include dealing cocaine. He is expected to appear in court for a case setting hearing July 22.
Pac Highway construction
• Pavement saw cutting and demolition for the median islands from the View at Redondo apartments, 29421 Pacific Highway S., to Dash Point Road will begin July 16.
• Concrete sidewalk will be installed behind the new curb the week of July 14.
• Work has begun to construct reinforced sidewalk and pedestrian barriers above the wall located next to the South Dash Point Road Shell station and the walls near the View at Redondo apartments. Crews will be placing rebar and forms over the next two weeks.
• Paving to tie parking lots into the new sidewalks will occur on July 14 and 15 at the following businesses: Guys and Dolls, Cinnamon Bear Castle, Eye Clinic/State Farm, Rhinehard Distributing, Federal Way Florist, Auto Glass Repair, Unfadeable Barber and Buddhist Learning Center.
• Storm drainage laterals will be installed north of South 288th Street at least through July 25.
• Construction of fascia panels for the wall near the Soundview Apartments, 28425 18th Ave. S., is on-going at least through July 25. Crews will work on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the next few weeks to hasten completion. No temporary lane closures will be needed on Saturdays.
Expect weekday daytime lane closures for much of this work.